Thursday, August 18, 2005

iPowerWeb's Enhanced Account Access Requirements

August 18, 2005
Enhanced Account Access Requirements

Attention vDeck users:

For your protection, we are enhancing your account access requirements. Starting today you will be periodically asked to change your password prior to accessing your vDeck Hosting Account. For added security, you will be asked to authenticate yourself prior to accepting the change. We strongly recommend that you choose a secure password - ie, one that does not sound like a word, and contains at least one non-alphanumeric character - eg., !@#$%^&*. Your new password may not be the same as your old one.




Well, I was in the middle of making some changes to my site, when FTP stopped working. I go to vDeck to see what it going on, and it wants me to change my password.

Only apparently, I'm not allowed to change my password, because I get a cryptic message about access denied to some passwd file...and included in the message is my old and new password along with my 'secret' identifier...all in clear text.

And, now neither my old or new password is working.

Do a live chat, and get a canned response that the developers are working on it....and that's about it. Alledgedly my old password will get me back in once they get things working again.

Meanwhile, I guess their idea of enhanced security is lock everybody out.

What is it about companies breaking production systems this month????



Update: It is working again, but it was messed up. Had to use my old password to FTP in, but it sent me to jail where a bunch of named files said I had to change my password. But, the vDeck login wanted my new password and required me to change it yet again.

Meanwhile, my blog ftp account was also messed up. The only way to get it working again was to remove it and add it back again.

Otherwise I seem to be in business again.....

No comments: